Modern society is media-saturated, so proofreading is a crucial skill. Writing is a major part of our lives every day, even if you have no intention of becoming a proofreader.
It is critical to learn how to proofread, edit, or write a professionally edited text if you are interested in becoming a proofreader, editor, or writer.
That’s why we have curated a list of the best online proofreading courses.
There is bound to be something in this selection to suit your needs, ranging from in-depth programs to short overview courses available at various price points.
6 Best Proofreading Courses In 2023
For Beginners and Writers
You might be a student who wants to make A*s on your final exam or a freelancer who wants to make sure all your submissions are flawless.
There may be a time or a resource issue preventing you from enrolling in an extensive program, yet you’re thinking about becoming a proofreader.
As a result, you are probably looking for a short course that will provide you with an overview of proofreading. This may be the case, in which case you might want to consider these two courses.
They don’t get into specifics like how to collaborate on a document or format it. They do however cover basic grammar and editing in general, not only proofreading.
For Professional Proofreaders and Editors
Freelancers (as most proofreaders are) must master more than just the skills of proofreading – they must also understand the style used by each client, market themselves, and manage their finances.
In some courses, proofreaders themselves teach the topics. The following courses also offer completion certificates that can be used to verify your own proficiency once you’ve graduated.
Conclusion Best Proofreading Courses 2023
No matter what level of commitment, career goals, or budget you might have, you’ll find these eight proofreading courses useful.
What will you learn in these proofreading classes online?
From proofreading classes online, you can learn the following:
- The course teaches basic proofreading skills.
- Copyediting and proofreading your text will be explained step-by-step to you.
- A step-by-step guide on how to become a professional copyeditor or proofreader with little practice.
- Your newly acquired skills will be applied with the right knowledge.
- It includes tips for copyediting and proofreading different types of writing, such as blogs, articles, and fiction.
- You learn how to become a copyeditor and proofreader and start a business.
- You will get a feel for how to implement your new skills through practice exercises.
Is this proofreading training online suitable for everyone?
In any case, these proofreading courses are open to anyone, regardless of educational background, experience, or experience with copyediting, so if you have copyediting and proofreading skills, then these courses will certainly improve your writing skills.
What is the process of becoming a certified proofreader?
- Acquiring writing and grammar experience can help you become a certified proofreader.
- An English language master’s degree can also be completed.
- Learn copy editing and online editing through journalism courses.
- Also available online are a wide variety of free copy-editing courses.
When proofreading, what should you look for?
Grammar mistakes, run-on sentences, punctuation marks, poorly written sentences, spelling errors, comma usage, splicing, capitalization, tenses, structure, readability, and audience appropriateness are some things that professional editors look for when proofreading.